Pet Urn - Artistic Urn - Memory Box Urn for Pets and Loved Ones - Robin Davis Studio

A dear friend of mine, Carrie lost her beloved dog Brody last month. She contacted me and asked if I would create a very special ART PIECE for Brody's ashes. She wanted a piece she could display that was unique, personalized, and a memorial keepsake all about Brody.

Pet Urn - Metal Handmade Memorial Box - Robin Davis Studio
 The loss of a pet is so heartbreaking. I remember when my sister, Mom and I lost our dog Boggie several years ago. Boggie was our "heart healer" and came into our lives shortly after the loss of my Dad. Dogs loves us unconditionally, always teaching us about patience, understanding, affection and of course, exercise!
the making of a Pet Urn - Metal Handmade Memorial Box - Robin Davis Studio
 My heart was breaking just seeing the pain Carrie was in. Brody was a part of her life for nearly 14 years. There for her during good times and bad, always by her side. So I set out to design a very special art box, with my hubby's help.  We photographed each step along the way. First thing I did, was pull together a few antique elements to show Carrie what I pictured in my head. An important part, I felt, was incorporating a candle that could be lit whenever she wanted. 
the making of a Pet Urn - Metal Handmade Memorial Box - Robin Davis Studiothe making of a Pet Urn - Metal Handmade Memorial Box - Robin Davis Studio
 My next step was making the metal box "rusty" and "weathered". I wanted a beautiful rich shade of red brown...the color of Brody.
the making of a Pet Urn - Metal Handmade Memorial Box - Robin Davis Studio
 With our handy torch, hubby and I burnt the outside of the galvanized metal box I had found at an antique market.

the making of a Pet Urn - Metal Handmade Memorial Box - Robin Davis Studio
 We left the box outside for a couple weeks, adding salt and water, letting mother nature help us artistically.
the making of a Pet Urn - Metal Handmade Memorial Box - Robin Davis Studio
I even worked on weathering the inside of the box. As the days passed, the shade was really coming to life.

the making of a Pet Urn - Metal Handmade Memorial Box - Robin Davis Studio
Once I washed all the salt off, we burnt the box one more time. and proceeded to add a sealer.
The sealer took approximately 3 to 4 days to cure. I couldn't work on the piece until the sealer fumes had dissipated, my nose is so sensitive, LOL!
the making of a Pet Urn - Metal Handmade Memorial Box - Robin Davis Studio
To add Brody's name, we stamped into a piece of old tin, making a special tag. 

the making of a Pet Urn - Metal Handmade Memorial Box - Robin Davis StudioHandmade Pet Urn - Pet Keepsake box - Robin Davis Studio
I love creating texture within all my pieces. Using different metals, chain, wire and antique elements I've collected over the years, we began to attach textures with grommets and brads.
 Handmade Pet Urn - Pet Keepsake box - Robin Davis StudioHandmade Pet Urn - Pet Keepsake box - Robin Davis Studio
Since Carrie was placing the box inside an enclosed shelving unit that had a top, I decided to incorporate a battery candle for safety reasons. I aged the candle using permanent inks.

the making of a special Pet Urn - Robin Davis Studio
 For the inside of the Memorial Box, I made a kraft envelope, where Carrie could place any keepsakes. I've always felt writing letters to those we've loved and lost, can help in the healing process. This envelope could hold a special letter written to Brody.

the making of a special Pet Urn - Robin Davis Studio

 Here I used 2 wonderful photos of Brody that Carrie sent me. His coloring was so beautiful and I wanted the box to reflect that.
the making of a special Pet Urn - Robin Davis Studio
 Inside I attached the envelope and placed a small burlap bag that had some antique stamping on it.
the making of a special Pet Urn - Robin Davis Studio
 Again, using metal ribbons and grommets, we attached more details. The metal ribbon made us think of a dog collar, so we placed it around the lid.
the making of a special Pet Urn - Robin Davis Studio
 One of the special details I wanted to add was the vintage lock on the front of the box with the galvanized metal frame holding the 2 pictures of Brody. We attached a fishing lure mechanism so Carrie can display any side of the frame she chooses.
the making of a special Pet Urn - Robin Davis Studio

the making of a special Pet Urn - Robin Davis Studio
Custom memorial Pet Urn - Keepsake box - Robin Davis Studio
The finished Memorial Pet Urn Art Piece box is a creation I'm very proud of.
Robin Davis Studio

Popular Posts